Saturday, August 29, 2009

grapevine fires

I don’t know how many people are friendly with the song by Death Cab for Cutie “Grapevine Fire’s” (you will be transfered to the YouTube video if you click on the title of today's blog, which is really a link, so look up and click), but I find myself singing it to myself while biking at least once a day. My bike ride to my classes, although only a little over 4km, is what I like to call extreme mountain biking. It’s through two streams, a 2 foot down/up hill gap (mini valley) in the earth and down and then up a big hill or small mountain. See this time of year in Zambia is very windy, dry, all while it is getting warmer each day. It is the time of year that farmers begin to get their fields ready before the rainy season. With these points in mind, along with the fact that no one is really quite sure why, it’s also the time of the year that every house hold in the country loves to burn the grasses around their houses, fields, or anywhere really. Some people say that they do it so in case there really was a fire their houses would be safe. Mud walls + Grass roof + fire = no house (bad news). Others say that the grasses are burned as a kind of fertilizer for the earth, and lastly to find, kill, catch to eat the mice that are in the fields. But alas, as I bike to and from the training center over looking the beautiful countryside that was just burnt or is still smoking; I cannot help but put the images I see to the music that I can most relate to this time.

Little Elishaba was really sick with the flu last week. Just today (Tuesday 8/25) after a full week of not being able to hold anything down (or in (Oh and no diapers are used here, not even the cloth kind, that’s a luxury that can not be afforded. If you are thinking messy, you are right)). As most of you know who are reading this, it’s really scary when a baby’s sick. They can’t tell you what’s wrong, it’s hard to relive them from any pain that they are in, and its hard not to feel helpless when they cannot keep anything down!

But even scarier for me, was the fact that we have been covering Under-5 care the past week, and have been preached to by Peace Corps, how the greatest cause of mortality in U-5 is diarrhea leading to dehydration. Needless to say watching her become weaker and weaker was hard for me. My host parents kept asking me questions about what they should do, or what I thought might be the issue since I am a health volunteer. But I had no idea what to do seeing that I have never had a child before and Bamaayo and Batata have had four. I couldn’t help thinking that I have only babysat for families of four, so it was a bit different, and they knew a bit more about what to do than me. It was also kind of hard not to say or tell them to just give her some children’s Tylenol, which does not exist here. Woops.

I was able to offer dehydration salts, but they had their own, and were in the process of using them. I hate feeling helpless and always try to be as proactive as I can be, so you can assume that this was a hard experience for me, however I couldn’t help looking at it as a valuable learning experience since I am going to be coming across situations like this more times than not in the next few years. There are going to be many times that I am not going to be able to act in the helpful manor I may think best because of a lack of education, clauses in my Peace Corps contract, and the fact that helping one family in a special way in the village would be equivalent to opening Pandora’s box. So since this story has a happy ending, and I am still in training, I am taking this baby sickness as a good thing; because it is one thing to be told that I must be hands off as a volunteer, or feeling helpless at times, but a totally different thing to experience it.

Did you know that I am a hair dresser? Me either, but I am now the July 2009 RAP/CHIP intake official go to hair cutter. Today marked my fourth successful hair cut (I am getting better with each one)! I have given one girl with hair the length to her mid-back a smashing fo-hawk (mini Mohawk), another girl with shoulder length hair a peter-pan-ish hair cut, a boring dude hair cut to a dude, and a cute angled bobb to another girl with shoulder length hair. Please don’t worry, each person asked for the style they received, there have been no tears, and I have gotten many requests to other people’s hair once we get back from out second site visit. Oh and I found out that I am going to Central Prov! Bordering the Northern Prov, and the DRC. See you all in a week!

4 comments:

alinds said...

I had to throw on Grapevine Fires while reading your post. :) I hope Elishaba is feeling better..

In other news, it sounds like the monkeys over there are facing a tough crowd: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8231736.stm

Unknown said...

Hey Hey Eliz,

So proud of you for doing that. Unbelievable! It must be really hard work and much patience needed. Helping people over there is something that most people are not willing to do or even ever think about. Awesome. Be safe have fun.

Much Love

Tim Roche

Unknown said...

Hi eliz!! Karen and larry here with yur folks,,,going to see sox game together.
How are things going? I understand you are with your family and will get your village soon..good luck with all of your plans..
We are celebrating our 40 tomorrow ..the kids are giving us a casual backyard party with only about 40 people---only our very special friends!. HA! of course your parents are coming...I got the wedding dress out and it is on a manaquin as a visual aid for the party...pretty tattered after about 20 years of putting it on at each anniversary...it looks like Bride of Frankenstein...swear to God..
Tim here until thurs sept 10 so that is fun...Meg not happy with her hotel job and looking for other possibilities...Mike with larry at work ..although larry company very slow as so many others..We went on a Segway tour yesterday ( the 5 of us) all over chicago and it was so fun. I thought larry looked really silly in that stupid helmet!!
Cookie gramma (my mom) is doing well at 92...a great party girl in our family!
I have been taking ballroom dancing and jazz and love it. Also took a 4 week class to learn Thriller and will be perfoming it on Oct 25 somewhere in chicago...it will be attempted to be done worldwide at the same time! How fun...i am glad i can still do things like this...
Well i will say good by for now and have a happy special birthday in your home away from home. Love you much
karen and larry

Nicole Ellena said...

elizabeth! im reading this once in a while.. sounds like you are living amazing experiences. i miss you!

. . . And if you want to be free, be Free. Things I do, and think about.