Monday, April 9, 2007

Big Yellow Taxi - (2/365)

Big Yellow Taxi- Joni Mitchell

A warm summer evening, the windows down and the sun roof open, getting as much "natural" air as possible before we get on the express way, and are forced to turn the air on, because of its deafening volume. My big brother, Bobby and I are sitting above the others in the kids car, a green SUV, while we wait for the train on 47th to pass. We are listening to XRT, when Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi comes streaming out of the speakers. Now i am speaking for the both of us which is always risky, but i am going to do it anyway, my brother had a moment. We both experienced first handedly the magical effect that music, but more specifically a good song, can have over people. We were both captives under Joni's fun voice, addictive laugh, and politically charged lyrics. I will forever think of this as our song, and remember one of the first moments that i thought of my big brother, as some one who could also be my friend.

To this day I still want this song at my funeral.

** Sorry for spelling errors, this one was done in a hurry.

2 comments:

Otter said...

Sadly I don't really remember this moment. I remember the song, and now that you say 47th, this all makes sense. I think I even said that this was a good song or asked you about this song since I didn't really know it... but that's all I can gather. But there are other moments and other songs that I can think of. I always remember this song for the lines "Don't it always seem to go/that you don't know what you've got until it's gone" which of course, you'll learn, pretty much sums up every in life.

Otter said...

This is beautiful Eliz.

. . . And if you want to be free, be Free. Things I do, and think about.